a while back voxer cp wrote a great review about the Australian movie The Proposition. it was interesting so I added The Proposition to the Netflix queue. it was well worth it. great, great movie. it somehow had skipped my radar and I'm very thankful cp brought it to our attention.
now y'all need to go watch it. here's a list of reasons why.
– screenplay by Nick Cave. damn! love me some Nick. what a brilliant fuck he is.
– starring Guy Pierce. who is teh awesome and not in movies as often as he should
– characters in this movie are dirty, dirty, frelling-sweat-over-dirt-and-dirt-over-sweat-for-weeks dirty. very realistic. and the teeth? guh.
– John Hurt has a small part (more like an extended cameo), but I'd dare anyone to take her eyes of him for the duration. fantastic.
– this movie has the most striking visual I have ever seen; I was left breathless when I first saw it. I didn't want to stop and rewind, but the moment the movie was over, I watched the entire movie again. and when it got to that particular scene I was left breathless again.
– Ray Winstone's performance was very affecting. there is something about his eyes that's reminiscent of a horse, or better, a bull . at times it felt like he was going to lower his head and charge.
– Emily Watson, as Winstone's character wife, was an inspired bit of casting; her eyes and high forehead are almost a bit bovine…reminiscent of Holbein's portraits.